Tuesday, June 30, 2015

How To: Keep Your Long Hair Fun & Healthy for Summer!

How To: Keep Your Hair Fun & Healthy for Summer!

Today I'm working in conjunction with Brooke Elise on this haircare How To! We've both got a few tips and tricks for keeping your hair type healthy and happy. Personally, I've got super long (almost to my butt) naturally blonde hair - so I'll be telling you what I do!

Stay away from the hot tools!
This is my natural hair! (and natural curl)
No seriously - it may look awesome for like a second but it ends up damaging the hair more. If you want to style your hair try the blow dryer on cool, braids, or rollers!

Speaking of braids...
They will become your best friend, and are practically a necessity if you want manageable hair. A braid is also a super cute hairstyle and is perfect for windy days. I personally braid my hair every night before bed - sleeping with your hair loose just creates tangles and a mess to brush through in the morning. Also - use a metal free hair tie. I bought a pack of 100 at the dollar store!

Find the perfect brush/comb
Personally, I use a wide tooth comb and a tangle teezer to brush my hair. I also own a wet brush that I never actually use in the shower anymore - but dry when my tangle teezer is no where to be found. The wide tooth comb is a shower staple when I've got conditioner in my hair to make sure that the conditioner gets in every nook and cranny.

Washing your Hair
Now I know everyone is weird on hair washing, and we all have our own system. But I'll tell you mine - I was my hair MAYBE once or twice a week. I don't have super greasy hair although it definitely can get that way, it just depends mainly on how sweaty I get during those inbetween days. I use a moisturizing shampoo too - I know there is all this chemistry behind shampoos but I'm gonna be honest, I buy my shampoo and conditioner at Sams club. (which is a wholesaler) So I've got a very large shampoo and conditioner pump sitting in my shower.

Conditioning your Hair
This is going to sound weird probably, but I always apply conditioner to the ends of my hair first. I feel like this is the part of my hair that is most fragile and I will apply a large portion of moisturizing conditioner there before anything else. My hair is also long enough that I pull it up in a bun of its own while I shave/wash my body and the last thing I do before I get out of the shower is wash conditioner out. I always end up letting my hair air dry as well.

Stay away from permanent color!
This is kind of a no brainer - peroxide based hair colors damage hair. Long hair is sensitive and you need to be gentle with it. But I've used demi/semi permanent colors on my long hair before with no repercussions. (I prefer using brands like Manic Panic)

Be Gentle!
No seriously - have patience and be gentle. It may take up some time of your morning- but it'll be worth it in the long run!

Stalk me?

8 comments:

  1. YAASSS GIRL YASSS. i didn't realize your hair was so long! thanks for collaborating with me (even though i totally messed up the date) :D

    brooke | brooke elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girrrrl even I forget that my hair is as long as it is until I see photos of it. && You know I'd collab with you anytime! :D

      xo Jenn

      Delete
  2. Great advice :) I'll have to try and give up the hair dryer and straighteners...! xxxx

    http://gbeautyblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to religiously get up every morning and flat-iron my hair (and curl it for special occasions), as soon as I gave up my hot tools I realized I could pretty much brush/comb my hair into submission and my hair thanked me ten-fold!

      xo Jenn

      Delete
  3. Great tips. I try to stay away from straighteners unless its a big night out and rarely use a hairdryer. I too use peroxide far too often though!
    Debbie
    www.myrandommusings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm staying away from hair dyes until I feel like cutting my hair - its super damaging!

      xo Jenn

      Delete
  4. Good tips!
    I also find applying only conditioners on certain days and leaving out the shampoo helpful ;)


    With Love,
    Anna || Curly Scribbles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesyes! I do this too and didn't even think to include it!

      xo Jenn

      Delete

be sweet, <3