Tuesday, May 10, 2016

The Weird Thing About Having Magical Hair

The Weird Thing About Having Magical Hair...

Coloring my hair has been one of those super fun things that I never thought I'd be able to do. Yet here I am, 26 and with a head-full of dreams and a scalp full of purple hair. 

I've colored my hair twice already this year - the first time I went for a metallic rose gold. Which honestly turned out better than I expected and I looooved how it turned out once I washed it the first time.



The second time I kinda went buckwild - I went straight for the purples, pinks, greens, and blues. Its my current hair and I'm in looooove with it.
But there is something about having this awesome crazy hair that I honestly didn't expect. And its the immediate judgement and stares people give you. I was always taught to never judge a book by its cover, which (to be honest) has been something very hard to do. When someone dresses or looks a certain way we immediately stereotype or make judgements on the kind of person they are. I have had to purposefully teach myself to toss those immediate impressions aside, to think positively, and realize that it's not what on the outside that counts.

To be honest the first day I had this purple hair I had completely forgotten altogether that my hair wasn't a natural color. I was at my local gas station pumping gas when this woman rolled her car up to the pump in front of mine and stared at my head the entire time I was pumping my gas. It was a little unnerving - and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why she was starting so blatantly. It finally dawned on me as I was finishing up that she was staring at me because of my hair.

I've become more used to people staring at my hair, but I don't think I'll ever get over when people decide to be openly rude/vocal about my choice of hair colors. I posted on twitter about a week ago when I was out to dinner with my fiance and this Mom (who was out with her kids) was openly mocking me and saying that my hair looked "SOOO FAKE" loud enough that she knew she could be heard. I mean, no shit - MY HAIR IS PURPLE. I mean unless I'm a main character in some kind of anime my hair doesn't grow out of my scalp this way. It was depressingly rude - but it's not worth my time to humiliate her in front of her children.

Overall though - the response to my hair has been more positive than anything. I've gotten more compliments than I can even keep track of. And I'm going to hold onto those compliments and cherish them for as long as I can. I will not let a few ruin the good feelings that other people have given me.

Can't we just live by that old adage - if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all?



No comments:

Post a Comment

be sweet, <3